20 December 2009

Oh, the baking disasters! Part II: Cranberry Bread

I'd been craving cranberry bread or pumpkin bread or stuff like that for the past few days. So yesterday I decided "what the heck." Since I was baking shortbread anyway, I found a recipe to try.

Original recipe here.

2 cups gluten free flour (I used the Namaste All-Purpose list.)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 Tablespoon orange zest (I used two, actually)
3/4 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
1/4 cup butter or butter substitute, melted (I used canola oil--I was so over the coconut oil by this time)
2 eggs (I used 2 tbs ground flax seed mixed with 4 tbs hot water)
1 cup whole cranberries )
3/4 cup-1 cup walnuts chopped- (I used about 1 cup of chopped cashews)

Mix the dry ingredients. Add the orange zest to the flour mixture.

Mix the canola oil and orange juice. In a separate bowl, mix the flax seed and hot water.

Combine the orange juice mixture with the flour just until it's wet. Fold in the flax seed mixture. Then fold in the cranberries and cashews.

Put into a bread pan, bake at 350F for 40-50 minutes.

Results:




The texture turned out perfect, but the cranberries were a little too tart. If you store it, though, make sure to put it into something that won't retain moisture, which will turn it into a gooey mess. This bread is much better the second day. The cranberries weren't quite so tart.

The next time, I plan to add more sugar and fewer cranberries. And not put it in a baggie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whaddya think?